Saturday, December 29, 2007

Make Colorful, Fun Backgrounds Using Photoshop




If you have a scanner hooked up to your computer, this fun little exercise might be just for you. I had lots of fall leaves I picked up off the ground outside my home this autumn and just dried them. I don't often do this, but there were so many, I just couldn't resist them. After I dried my leaves, they didn't look as bright and cheerful, so I thought about what would it be like if I placed them all on my scanner in some haphazard configuration, and then scanned them? So, I tried this out, and ended up with a rather nice little 'collage' of autumn leaves on a white background. This looked all neat and cool, and I saved it as a .jpg file in Photoshop. That was when I thought to myself, what if I use some special effect filters while in Photoshop? Hmmm. I tried a few out, and this one I have posted really was a neat one, I just used the neon filter. I really liked the color it came out. See the image on the very top, it is the altered image using the neon glow effect in the Photoshop filters menu. You can, of course, control that and make it any color you like, but I love blue, so I used that for this design. You can then save that as a new named .jpg file and you'll still have the original to play around with. You can also change the contrast and the lightness of it, and you might even use this end result for a web page background, or just a festive 'fall color' type of graphic for a newsletter or other project you are creating. Don't be afraid to experiment with the different filters in Photoshop, the sky is the limit...so just go do it!


No comments: